Sunday, May 1, 2005

Whistle while your work.....

This is more to keep folks from thinking I've given up on this than anything else. I started working Macon area last week, and it seems that the lady that runs the Macon office thinks I'm going to do 7 day work weeks. So far, she's winning. BUT...I am sort of "taking one for the team" because the Macon guys are swamped. I figure I owe the company a couple weekends, because the proof is farther down the page that I don't always bust my butt for them every day! It sort of sucks working over there because I don't know the area at all, and it is at least an hour and a half drive just to get to the first job. All I'm doing is service work and backing up their lead tech when he gets strung out, so it isn't hard work at all. Time is what really starts getting to me. With school two nights a week, and not getting home from Macon until 7 each night, I've not had a lot of time to do anything else....that, and since I'm on salary, I'm not getting any extra bucks for this crap.

I am still loving my XM radio...one of the best toys I've bought this year. My favorite talk show is Opie and Anthony on XM202. It starts at 7 am eastern, and I like it so much I've been hitting the road earlier just so I can catch the whole thing! They are both New Yorkers, but are more conservative leaning than lib. And, it is a comedy type show anyway. And most of the time they really deliver...it just blows away any other morning show I've ever heard. Even better than Johnny Dare and Murphy in Kansas City (I hear it's just Johnny Dare now...what happed to Murphy?) and WAY better than the syndicated John Boy and Billy, or Howard "dumb shit" Stern. I've laughed so hard at times I about had to pull over. It is a bit on the rough side, because since it is on XM they don't have to go by FCC guidelines.

I'm bitching about working weekends, but Deb has been doing it every since she started. As I write this, she still hasn't made it home for the night. We have still found the time to socialize a little bit. Went to friends for BBQ Friday night, and will probably go watch another friends band tonight if Chrystin is available to watch Monk (Lyndsay). Most of the music is a little old for my liking, but he purposely does some Neil Young in the set to keep my attention.

Oh, my tomatoes made it through the frost scare, as well as two big storms, and look to be healthy so far. Maybe this will be the year I get a good garden again.

I've got another HK pistol waiting to be picked up at the pawn shop down the street. I traded a Leupold scope for it from a guy on the net, and Dan the pawn shop broker was good enough to do the ATF transfer for me. Now I've just got to catch him at the store to pick it up. It has been there since last Thursday and I've yet to make it there before closing. It isn't going anywhere, but it's still driving me nuts. I'll post some pictures when I get it. It will be my second HK, a USP 45 compact, but I'm sure not the last. Heckler & Koch make some very nice weapons, but they don't come cheap.

All right, I'm typed out for now, and just got the word that Chrystin is available, so I gotta jump in the shower.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking in.

Anonymous said...

Murphy just disappeared.  Last I heard from Kevin, she has never been mentioned.  I know people had to have called to ask, but they don't play it on the air.  It's as if she didn't exist, so something big happened.  I mean, if she died, they'd have had a big thing about it.  I don't know if she left on bad terms, got arrested for prostitution, or ran away with the lead singer of some horrible band.  I just want to know.  I think it's "nosey" more than "concerned" but I'll let you know if I find out.

Congrats on the gun.  Hug Monk for me.  See ya in July!

Anonymous said...

Heard on the street

One that got away alert: Now that former Rock 98.9 FM radio superstar Murphy Wells finally has revealed that health reasons and unhappiness with on-air partner Johnny Dare were the reasons for her mysterious departure last year, does she have any parting shots?

“You know, I don't care about him,” Murphy says of Dare. “I tell you this, I will not let what happened hurt me or control me. I've let it go. I just don't have anything to say to him — actually I have a lot to say to him, but there's not enough room in your column and you couldn't print it.”

Dare declined to return the fireless fire.

Wells is now happily ensconced in Colorado near Denver awaiting a job opening in the local media market.

Too bad for us.

“I did get a call from Jack FM last week,” Wells says. “They wanted me to do the morning show with Rick Tamblyn. But what am I going to do? Talk about the traffic here in Colorado?”

Talk about whatever strikes

your fancy on the Tip Line at

(816) 234-4441 or via email to hearne@kcstar.com.