Sunday, May 8, 2005

Happy Mothers Day.

This is not something that I claim to be good at, so bear with me…

 

To my mom,

 

   Like everything else in life, folks tend to take certain things for granted, at least I do. For instance, I take if for granted that when visiting my parents, you will be woke up in the morning by my mom singing and playing the guitar, followed by the smell of something wonderful cooking for breakfast. I never thought to warn my wife about that the first time she slept there, and woke up to her looking at me as if to say, “What the hell is this all about?” While the highest rated would be cinnamon rolls, the rice and raisins rank as high on my list. It is a given that if it is past 9 p.m., and your looking for my mom, you’d better check the bedroom, because she is asleep….4:30 a.m. to get those dinner rolls rising comes awfully early you know. You would be hard pressed to get hungry at moms house.

   We did not have a lot of money when I was a kid. In fact, I think there were times when we didn’t have any at all. The thing is, at the time I really didn’t realize just how tight things were. My sister and I weren’t burdened with having to hear about any of these problems. This is probably one of the more important lessons I learned from both my parents…let kids worry about kid stuff, and not involve them in adult business. If they ever argued, it happened when we weren’t there. These days, mom doesn’t worry about much. She’ll be the first to tell you that all is in God’s hands, and she’ll trust in Him that all will work out.

   In some ways, my mom ruined me. When I was young, you didn’t take the “last one” of anything…that was dads. It wasn’t a big deal really, that’s just how it was. Now days, if one of my gang beat me to “the last one” (usually a desert that I really didn’t need anyway), instinctively I look at Deb, like, “How did you let that happen?” Doesn’t she know it is her job to protect the “last one” from the kids? I’m sure she probably thinks I’m quite insane.

   I’ve got nothing but love for my mom. I haven’t ever told her how much I appreciate all that she is done for me, so this is as good a time as ever…Thanks Mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent entry. I agree whole-heartedly.

Anonymous said...

One of the best Mother's Day gifts I ever got, right here.  Cliff said, "Smokin'"!

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry! I only know your Mom from her Journal and comments, but she seems like a wonderful woman. I think you were lucky to have them as parents...
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Oh that was sooooooo sweet! I just want to hug you for that beautiful entry to your journal!  You know of course that they don't make many moms like your mom anymore??? I am so glad that you know how wonderful your mom is!
I read her journal daily and I can feel how great a person she is from her writing.
I know she really loved this.
Take care, Carlene

Anonymous said...

The nicest thing is that you are thankful and blessed. A great tribute to a wonderful Mom.  Yes, these words you wrote have to be the best gift ever...