Thursday, June 14, 2007

All gear, all the time.

About two weeks before my accident, Deb and I had a conversation about motorcycle gear, and did it need to be worn all the time. I think I started it by bitching about how hot it was at stoplights with my jacket on. Anyway, I went on to tell her that when you didn't think you needed it is when you would need it. Truthfully I was as much trying to set an example for all these boys with their bikes as anything. Of course, I'd had the "$50 helmet for your $50 head" conversation with all of them several times as well. (For the record, my helmet lists for around $500, but I got a deal on ebay.)

Anyway, for some reason after that conversation I did take a couple rides without my jacket. Usually just down to get cigs, and short runs. I wasn't wearing it for the accident. Lost quite a bit of skin on my right arm too. You can bet I'll be wearing it from now on.

What brings this up was a comment that buddy Greg made the day he came to visit me in the hospital. "You should have been wearing Alpinestars bubba." Yep, I should have been. I'm not absolutely sure it would have saved my bones, but I'd about bet on it. These are Alpinestars:

Now there are a lot of company's that make sport riding boots, so it's almost like a "velcro" thing to call them Alpinestars. They were the first, and are still at the top of the heep when it comes to motorcycle gear. Also, it's one of those things....they are not comfortable to walk around in, they are sort of "geeky" looking, but you can bet that when this is over I'll be wearing the damn things, and my jacket, and probably the kevlar riding jeans as well. This hasn't scared me off of the bike, but it has made me painfully aware of the saying from one of the web sites I frequent: All Gear, All The Time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had wondered if you were done riding.  I'll tell you, it has had me thinking hard!