Sunday, December 23, 2007

Motorcycle Madness!

I suppose you were expecting a Christmas enty, right? Well, tough shit.

This entry is about motorcycles. But, not about my current one. I read a few message boards, and contribute as well. If you search google for WoodMotorsports you'll find a few message board entries here and there. (I just did it, just to make sure nothing to bad shows up... in the first few pages anyway). Well, tonight someone on Supermotojunkie.com posted a link that brought back a lot of memories....

Honda Trail 70 is a site dedicated to the bike that started it all for me. I really hadn't thought about it much, even though it was the first bike that put me in the hospital and I revisited a similar scene this year. I remember riding in circles around a pasture on that bike. Hell, I remember riding it before I knew how to stop without help. I remember dad riding wheelies on it. I don't remember that damn thing ever being broke, but at that age I wasn't doing much of my own wrenching. It's kind of funny how the motorcycling thing has come, gone, and come back again over the years. I just about always had wheels in grade school, started on two, then went to three for a while as well (ATC110 Honda). I remember dad getting ready for a big bike trip, but don't remember when or what bike he was taking. I remember Uncle Don having those freakishly fast two stroke, three cylinder street bikes that we had to pull with a car to get started once.

The first bike I bought for myself was a Honda Hurricane 600 when the sport bike craze was just getting going. I didn't have it long because lower enlisted Army guys with families have been known to sell stuff to pay bills.

Dad didn't have a bike for years either. I think what drug me back into it was him buying a Goldwing a couple years ago. I should have never got on the damn thing. Now I've got a Suzuki DRZ400SM that has more aftermarket parts than factory ones.....and wouldn't it be cool to track down a trail 70 to fix up?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You see the Honda 70's all the time at swap meets and on Craigslist.  Tough little buggers!  When Cliff gets done adding all the stuff onto our Wing, I'll do an entry about that.  He's been throwing money at it like crazy.  Hey, we have decided when you guys come in July you need to bring all the little girls along, so we can get some laughs out of them.  I know you'd really have a blast with three little girls along on a 700-mile trip.  Haaaaaaaa!!!!!  Oh, wait... the new baby should be doing some cute stuff by then... bring her too!

Anonymous said...

That would be fun!  I'm all for it. Yeah, buy that. (It's easy to say when it isn't my money.)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and Monica can only play the first 3 notes well, the next 3 are a bit iffy, and she's trying to sound out the rest.  She's never been taught that song, but she can usually figure them out, given enough time.