Monday, December 3, 2007

A few pictures from today.

Mom asked who sets these caches out. Pretty much anyone that's into it. What's in it for them? It's sort of like a blog...you watch the page to see who visits it, see what they left, and see what they took. I'll be setting some out eventually. It's not just about the hunt, though that is what I really like about it. It's also about finding things that you normally would pass right by every day......

That's the Bacon Motel. At one time it was the only motel close to Plains, GA. It's actually out in the country a couple miles, and it's not very big. It sure doesn't look like any motel I've ever seen. A cache brought me here. I found another Travel Bug with a small tank attached. It was set in motion by a WWII vets granddaughter after he died. The idea is for this one to make it to the WWII memorial in Washington, D.C.

I also stopped to snap this picture while on the road today.....

Dad mentioned a cool bridge they had spotted on a motorcycle ride, and this one came to mind. It's a RailRoad Trestle across the Chattahoochee River close to Omaha, GA. I'm on the car bridge for this picture basically stranding on the state line of AL and GA. The trestle hasn't been used in some time, and the car bridge is actually quite a bit lower....larger boats no longer come up the river to Columbus like they did at one time.

If anything this hobby makes you notice things that have always been there. I found two great places for a picnic today that we'll be visiting very soon. My leg is getting more rehab than it has since I left the hospital. All in all, this is a pretty cool thing to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool pics. Never seen a bridge like that before.

Anonymous said...

Hi,  I stumbled upon your journal and you remind me so much of my husband and myself, stopping to take pictures along the way and on our little adventures and road trips.  You have a lot in common with him and he just started a journal not long ago, is also a right wing conservative and we both live in GA, Cartersville to be exact.  I'll leave you the links if you want to visit his blog, which is political.  
His name is DIRK and his journal is: http://journals.aol.com/tsalagiman1/THE-FIRST-AMENDMENT/not-politi/

It's IS NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT.  He says what we all wish somebody would say.

My journal is private.  It is http://journals.aol.com/nelishianat/PrayingandBelieving/

Anonymous said...

My wife told me about your journal so I thought I would stop by.  I love these kinds of photos especially since you tell what they were.  I've always enjoyed seeing things like the old motel along the old U.S. highways and trying to figure out what they were.  I've put you on my alerts so I'll be visiting.

Dirk

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna's son.  I came over from your Mom's Journal.  I just fell in love with that picture of Bacons Motel.  I have been back to re-look at it 3 or 4 times since last nite.  Now if my house looked like that I would die......and I would kill hubby.  But there is something about old houses that I can't resist.  So, I put it on my desktop and I just love it.  I sure hope you don't mind.
                                         Marlene
    http://journals.aol.com/domsmom27/one-day-at-a-time