Sunday, January 1, 2006

Happy New Year, installer style.

Things have been hectic and weird around here the past week or so, thus the lack of updates. I'm not one to air out a lot of personal crap here, but I will say that for me things are going better around here than they have in a long time. This is sort of funny, since we've had another spell of being broke and behind on everything (thanks santa). Even at that, all is pretty good here.

Now, here is how a satellite man spent new years eve, and new years day:

On her way to work Thursday, Deb had some problems with the truck. Basically, it emptied itself of oil in about a minute. The good thing about the Powerstroke diesel is that it won't run if the oil gets dangerously low. That fact saved the truck from permanent damage. I couldn't find the problem in the parking lot at her work, so we filled it up and limped her home for me to check it out where I had some tools. I was already resigned to spending my long weekend working on the truck. Well, long story short, I found the problem (blown o-ring) in about an hour, and had it fixed 40 minutes after that. During this I got a call from Stan Merit, the owner of an upscale home theater store in town that I sometimes sub-contract for. They had taken on a job outfitting a new Golds Gym with more audio/video equipment that I can even get you to believe. The gym is supposed to open on 1 January, but there is MUCH left to do....would I be interested in helping out? This was a $90k (k-as in thousand!) job and basically HAD to be done or else. So.........

At 4 p.m. on new years eve I found myself at Golds Gym. I left this morning at 10 a.m. 18 hours of work, but the job is complete. Deb said she felt sorry for me....I told her feel sorry for Stan when he has to even up with me on Tuesday!

It was actually a fun job, and I was working with Stan's guys whom I've known and worked with for years. We had a scissor lift, and all the needed equipment. But it was a long night. I'll try to get some pictures of the finished project to post here. I was not even thinking about it last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!  I'm glad to see an entry from you; I was starting to worry.