Saturday, January 7, 2006

Food junkies, dieting, and tiramisu.

I've eluded to the fact that things are going pretty good around here. This is one of the best new year starts I can remember. Even money is looking up...Deb got a raise, and I've had a good run of side work lately. Not getting ahead mind you, but slowly coming out of the hole.

We dieted like hell this week, and of course the first few days are always impressive. I guess we were celebrating our great dieting skills by eating out last night..........

Deb calls and asks where I am and do I want to go eat after work....no kids, lets go somewhere nice. I say what about the diet. She says it's a steakhouse, we don't have to cheat. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

We headed to a new place called Ben's Chop House. I've been there before but it was a different restaurant then. I must say that I'm pretty particular about wait staff...sometimes more so than being a food critic. Things were going well here however, prompt service and my glass never got under half full before there was another full one waiting beside it. The diet went to hell when the bread arrived. I was really hoping it was plain dinner rolls like most places, BUT NOOOO...it was yeast rolls like mom makes. They didn't last long amongst the Adkins dieters. So much for low carb. Deb ordered a Rib Eye and I got jumbo shrimp so we could try some of both. We didn't end up sharing much of either! Good stuff.

Finished up feeling pretty damn bad about cheating on the diet. Our girl stops and says "How about desert?" I was full and ready to cut my losses (so to speak) but Deb asks what they've got. The girl rattles off a list but the only thing I recognize is cheesecake. Now Debbie loves her cheesecake, but I can live without it. She suggests that I try the Tiramisu. I'm a picky bastard and could see how this could go bad, but things had been so good so far that I went out on a limb. That was one of the better decisions I've made lately. I've now got a new favorite desert, although I'm back to dieting now. If you've never had this, you've got to try it. Words cannot describe how good tiramisu is!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have found heaven man!!!  But don't worry, we will get you into a 10-step program as soon as we feel you have gone over the deep end!  :-)  Just dont ever try to make it at home...

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I really needed to see something sweet. My sugar just went thru the roof!

Anonymous said...

Oh HECK yeah!  I have made tiramisu before, and it's wonderful, but time-consuming and a bit difficult to make.  Not really difficult, I guess, but different than anything I've made, and takes some interesting ingredients.  I love it.  It really tastes quite sinful, doesn't it.  Hmmmmm, yeah, I think I'm gonna need some.  Thanks a LOT, Jim.