Tuesday, November 14, 2006

More from Halloween night.

I kind of went off on a tangent on the last one, so...back to Halloween.

After I returned to the house Halloween night, everyone was getting prepped for trick or treating. Deb's hand was swelling rapidly, but I don't think any of us knew how bad it was. The girls were out for a couple of hours, came back for a bit, then went to Deb's moms house. She is a retired nurse, and when she seen the hand she basically ordered Deb to head to the emergency room.

I'll say at this point that Deb doesn't "do" pain very well, so it's very hard to tell if something is a real problem, or if she is being a wimp. Evidently the doc decided to err on the side of real pain, because he gave her MORPHINE! I couldn't believe that. And I doubt Deb will want any again either, because she go pretty ill when she started coming off of it. X-rays were taken and a few hours later (it was the emergency room after all) she was sent home. The two oldest daughters took turns staying with her, and I was home with baby Morgan. We usually have Morgan on Tuesday nights because Debs day off is Wednesday.

Well, when they arrived home I was glad that I sent Morgan home with her parents at around midnight, because it was pretty obvious that Deb wasn't going to be able to use her hand for a few days. She was off work through the week, but is back now and her hand is nearly back to normal now.

And so went Halloween 2006...I could have used a bit less excitement, but it is what it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Morphine?  ACK!!!!  When Mother was on morphine, she either wanted to party or was mean as the dickens.  Usually the latter.  It does surprise me they'd hand that out for a dog-bit hand.