Saturday, October 29, 2005

Riffing off my sisters journal.

Yes, I meant to write riffing, not ripping....in other words rambling off of thoughts provoked by my sisters journal.

Rachel did a fine job explaining our involvement in the CB craze via mom. Hell, I think everyone had a radio back then. Here is an ironic twist....if you check out mom's journal the dog she writes about that hangs around all the time belongs to the same guy who wanted to shoot down her antenna as a kid because mom's radio was "bleeding over" and wrecking their TV reception. Payback by mutt???

I can remember us hitching a ride to grandma's with dad as he went to work in the morning.  We could raise her on the radio (yes, even grandma had a CB)long before we got to Oak Grove, and she lived well to the other side of town. You couldn't talk that far these days without a footwarmer (amp). I can also remember having a helluva time understanding what was said through that tiny speaker.

Fast forward 30 years and I had my short stint as a radio man. My friend "Rooster" was heavily into radio's and had been every since they started getting popular in the 70's. Somehow I ended up with all kinds of equipment and talked literally all over the world with it. I've since gotten rid of most of the stuff....when Rooster died a couple years ago somehow the fun of it went with him.

Anyway, that's all for me....this is the "Hotshot", and I'm out..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNEW there was stuff I'd forgotten.  I sit here with a big ol' grin on my face, thinking back to those times.  Thanks for the memory boost.

Anonymous said...

10/4, over and out.  Jersey Mama from the cowbell base, going 10/7.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hotshot. Cheeks here.