Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My second day with the President.

Well, I always think of a million things to write in this journal when I'm out and about, but then somehow it never makes it to print. What follows are just a few things I encountered during the couple of days I've now spent at Jimmy Carters home working on his DirecTV.

First, to answer Rachel’s question,  the Secret Service folks were not in suits. They were dressed pretty much as the president was in jeans and button up shirts. They did however, have the earpieces and chatted on them quite often, considering that there really wasn't much going on. They would constantly relay our position as we moved about the house and out to the dish which I actually appreciated. I don't really want to startle one of these guys. One might think that these fellas have an easy assignment considering they have a very easy going boss who basically lives out in the sticks. BUT, what most wouldn't count on is the fact that he pretty much goes out hunting every day for whatever is in season. This morning he was turkey hunting. Monday was a fishing trip. I found this out because I asked why they had a winch mounted to the front of one of the black Suburban’s in the drive. The agent explained that a LOT of the president’s excursions are not on paved roads. While telling me about his hunting trips he said "the President is a very patient man" and this was said more than once. Reading between the lines I don't think this young man was real wild about hanging out in the woods so much, but he didn't say it that way really. They all talked very highly of their charge.

There are three full shifts of agents that cover the man at all times. I'm guessing that there are at least five agents per shift, maybe more depending on the daily activities. They have about a three year tour of duty, and of course none of them are from South Georgia. In some ways this may be best because they wouldn't have the distractions that being at home brings. There really is very little to do in the part of the country where theyare stationed. I found out yesterday that one of them was reaching the end of his tour and today heard President Carter tell him that he would be missed and that he was glad he got to see him before he moved on.

It is very surreal to be sitting on the couch with a Nobel Peace Prize winner explaining his new remote control to him. What I didn't really count on was the speed at which he picked it up. I've had harder times giving my "spiel" to middle aged computer programmers. Oh, and I think his eyesight is better than mine, even with contacts in.

Most customers I meet now as a supervisor are normally upset about something or at least feel they are owed something. It's part of this job and I'm pretty good at putting out fires. But, I also deal with a lot of very self-important people that for some reason or another think they are above us mere ham-and-eggers. It did my heart good to know that this man, once the leader of the free world, appreciated the fact that Raymond and I went out of our way to make this little upgrade a rewarding experience for him.

It is very odd to have a president’s secretary’s number stored in my cell. It is even odder to know that the man himself has my cell number....he asked for it. Debbie said that if he uses it, I'll have to get a "hail to the chief" ringtone.

Oh, although I haven't mentioned it yet, Mrs. Carter was there and was just as nice. She didn't really seem to be worried about any of this gadgetry though.

It is hard to address anyone as Mister President. I'm sure if you had it to do everyday it wouldn't be a big deal. I found myself pausing before I said it each time, so I mainly went back to my Army ways and used Sir most of the time.

And one last thing; All DirecTV techs have "The Story". The one or two customers that never leave your mind…. Pro ball players, actors, writers and that sort of thing. Up until now my "go to" stories mainly involved the Auburn sorority houses and the wonderful things I've seen there. Well, to all the other installers in the world....top this one sucka!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you have to feel honored to have been trusted enough to work in his home....I admire President Carter as a true Southerner that has helped many, many people...in our state, in our nation and also in the world.
carlene

Anonymous said...

Dude, this is the most awesome!  I'm so glad you got to experience it, and you DO have to get that ringtone.  I agree with Deb.  That would send shit down your leg, to know that *that* ring meant *he* was calling for help.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had this opportunity.  See, you came away with the same impressions Cliff and I did:  that he's very intelligent, and that he's a good man.  Probably as sincere and good a Christian as walks the earth anywhere.

I think they do some overkill on the secret service thing, and our tax dollars are paying for it.  Although after his last book, it might be necessary!  Besides, if anybody's worth it, in my book, he is.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Carter is a good man in a bad job.