Thursday, February 9, 2006

Another concert review.

 

I'm quite a happy camper at the moment.

 

As most who read this know, I listen to a rather odd mix of different music. You may say eclectic. For about the past two years, the band Disturbed has been at the top of my list when it comes to metal. Some would argue that Disturbed is even a bit beyond metal, but whatever you call it, I like it.

Well, my favorite radio show on XM, Opie and Anthony, just happen to have Jagermeister as an advertiser...the same company that is sponsoring the current Disturbed tour. I was about to buy tickets for the Atlanta show when I had the revelation of firing off an email to the O&A producer about scoring some free ones. Imagine my surprise when he replied within 10 minutes and ask which show I wanted to attend!  I was set to go to the Pensacola show and pick up my tickets at the will call window.....

At this point I should mention that Deb is not what one would call a big fan of this type of music. Hmmm, it just so happens that our favorite lawyer couple in Montgomery have clashing musical tastes as well. Joy has been known to cue up some rather head bangin' tunes from time to time, While Bill's tastes are a bit closer to Debs.  Ok then, Joy and I headed south!

Because our tickets were coming through Jager, I was told that they wouldn't be available until an hour before showtime. I had no idea what kind of seats we would get, and had no way of finding out.....really no matter anyway, either of us would have been happy to sit behind the stage just to be present. BUT, when I hand over my ID to get the tickets the lady asks "who are your tickets from?" I tell her and she disappears for a bit. My stomach is in a knot. When she returns the first thing I see is the neck strap used for credentials....then next thing she plops down is the VIP card to attach to the strap. Even at this point neither Joy nor I knew just how good we were going to have it.

We were ushered toward an elevator, but didn't really know why. The attendant ask if we were going to the 2nd floor. I had no idea why she would ask that and told her so. "You ARE going to the VIP party, right?" (Oh Lord)

We get to the party room and had a couple free drinks. "You DO want to go to the meet and great, right?" (Heart attack at this point)  <~~~ Yep, we met the band!

You are going to the seats that are right beside the stage, but out of the slam dancers area, right? (DAMN RIGHT I AM) <~~~as you can tell, at this point I'm getting quite used to being "an important person".

Now I realize this is getting to be a damn long entry, so I'll go short version from here on.

THANKS OPIE AND ANTHONY SHOW (especially SteveC), THANKS JAGERMEISTER...AND MOSTLY, THANKS JOY FOR BEING A GREAT CONCERT DATE! (Oh, damn...I better thank Deb and Bill for letting us even attempt something like this without any sort of divorce proceedings to follow!)

THIS FRIGGIN' YEAR IS KICKING ASS SO FAR. I've wrote that before, and so far haven't jinxed it, so I'm not scared to put it here again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'd be thrilled for you if I'd ever heard of the group.  LOL.  

Anonymous said...

Dang, you kinda kicked the wind out of my entry.  I was just excited that Survivor was on.  *sigh*  LOL congrats!

Anonymous said...

ok..only problem with this whole thing...YOU BETTER SCORE TICKETS LIKE THAT NEXT TIME!!!   Oh, and next time could you manage a limo?  That whole parking and walking thing really stunk.  Just kidding :-)  Many thanks to YOU Jim for allowing me to join you!

Anonymous said...

Hello~
I read your Mom's journal faithfully and thought I would finally post a comment. You and I have Opie & Anthony in common. I have been a faithful listener for years. Do you remember the show (before they got pulled from the air) in 2002 (I think) where they Anthony was stapling his leg with a stapler? Like the hand held punch staplers? It was a classic!! I have never laughed so hard in my life. I used to be listed in their archives, but I'm not sure.

You are also like my hubby who always has a project going....LOL. And like you he is quite talented at building things and repairing things.

Really great journal and beautiful family, including your Mom.

Take care,
Gayla