Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Family member moving on....

 

This is sort of my send off to a tractor. No, it isn't one of mine. It is my dad's D-17 Allis Chalmers. He got it at a time that I really didn't give a crap about tractors, or any kind of farming at all. The farther I could get away from a hay bale, the better. In fact, I really don't have a lot of seat time on this old girl, she came on the scene at about the time I was leaving it.

My son DOES have mucho hours on that baby though. As does my sister...and her kids, the neighbor kids...well, you get the idea.

It is actually WAY more tractor than I'll probably ever need. I remember her as the best tractor dad ever had on the farm. So, now when I'm looking or buying a tractor, they get compared to her. That damn thing has more hydraulic power than the tractor is capable of using. Plenty of room to maneuver on that seat too....mine sure feel cramped by comparison.

Any time I think of fabricating something, the first thing that comes to mind is the "quick hitch" that dad fabricated for her odd ball snap couple system, and all the attachments that could hook to it. That tractor is more personalized than most folks houses.

I only make it home once, sometimes twice a year. In going through my photo's, I was surprised to find that she was in several of them, always in the background. Usually under cover of the barn or machine shed, but ready to roll if needed. The picture I'm using is from Wood Family Reunion I, 2004. cousin Scott,Uncle Don, me, and Kevin, with Rachel's girls playing on and around "Alice".

When mom called a couple years ago, asking what I wanted willed to me, that tractor was really the only thing that came to mind. I wasn't prepared for the question, but that was the only thing that popped in my head.

When it comes down to it, Alice is equipment. I've bought, sold, and traded for my share. Once in a while I'll get rid of somethingonly to want/need it back a few months later. Most of the time I make out like a bandit, or get something I wanted/needed more that what I traded off. I damn sure don't begrudge dad for selling her....or "it". Yeah, that makes it easier. All I've got to say is...Mom, make sure the guy that is buying her, oops, it, reads all our journal entries on this subject. He's buying a piece of Wood history. And he needs to take good care of the old girl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a friggin' tractor!  WTF?  Anyway, he better love her.  To HELL with "it"...she's Alice...she's "Her".  Life will never be the same.  OK, life will probably be EXACTLY the same, but our psyche will be a bit different.  I will never drive another tractor without comparing it to Alice...She's one of a kind.  That dirty bastard better take care of her...ooops, this just turned ugly.  See ya.

Anonymous said...

Great entry, and a good idea.  I believe I WILL let him read our thoughts on Allis.

Anonymous said...

LOL So I guess this means you are out of the will?