Sunday, July 30, 2006

Late...very late....watermellon

 

We've tried to grow watermelon more than once since we've live here. Usually they either dry up or get ate by animals before we get them, or both. This year we didn't even plant a garden, but I did till the garden spot to smooth it out from last year. I guess there were some un-germinated seeds brought up because a watermelon plant started growing pretty fast. Well, there it is, the only successful watermelon to come from our garden, and we didn't even plant the damn thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S the way to garden.  Do no work, walk outside, and find produce!  Closest I come to that is walking in Mom's house, looking wistfully at a tomato, and having her say "take a few"

Anonymous said...

Cliff and I have watermelon every morning at 10 AM.  We're addicted, and it's going to be a sad day when the season is over.  I'm surprised you knew how to tell when it's ripe!

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother (Grandma Great to me) taught me how to tell when watermelon is ripe. I got a kick out of going to the grocery store with my dad, watching him thump a melon, then thump the bottom of his shoe until he found a melon that sounded like his shoe. It works, though.

Anonymous said...

Volunteers are often better than planted veggies.  Some of the best turnip greens I ever ate were from an abandoned garden spot.  Hope it was good.